Saturday, April 19, 2008

Loving It

"All children are born artists." -Picasso
"...the problem is to remain an artist as we grow up." Ken Robinson.

>>>Greece<<<



We went on a historical art tour titled "American Dreams" at the BYU Museum of Art this week. It was really enjoyable. I could have stayed there all day. The paintings were beautiful.

It just so happend that the first oil painting of the tour was one of Greek women during ancient Greece. We were excited to have such a coincidence occur. (Explanation is in the last blog entry).

I was really impressed with the comments the kids were giving. Especially Tyra when she spoke of freeing the slaves or Martin Luther Kings dream.

We were looking at an oil painting of an eagle that flew before a sky layered in colors and stars when Tyra said, "To me, the sky seems to represent the American flag." Way to go Ty!

>>>Aesop's Fables<<<


We've been reading and learning from Aesop's Fables. I have been so impressed with how well the kids understand the moral lessons in his fables. The ones we covered this week were:

The Frogs and the Well
The Tortoise and the Hare
The Three Bulls and the Lion

The Brother and Sister

The Goose that Laid the Golden Egg



Lessons of Wisdom learned:

"We should be happy with what we have." -Tyra
"We should keep on going and going." -Ethan
"Think and look before we do something." -Tyra
"Sticking together gives us strength - so bad doesn't win." -Ethan

>>>Party<<<

John had a night out with his friends friday night so we had a night out with ourselves by having a popcorn and movie party. We began to watch the movie Dinosaur but because it was scaring Cedric we watched Hercules instead...the kids were excited to point out Greek things we've been learning about like the Greek goddesses (in the movie) who wore the Greek apparel just like the painting we saw at the art museum.

>>>Garden<<<
Our garden has been put on hold until Monday (cross my fingers) as we intermingle it with the lesson of self sufficiency for FHE. I overheard Ethan telling his friend Elaine about our garden. He was out in the back yard walking through the squares (they aren't filled in yet) saying, "...these are going to be the kids' gardens. These are the families." As he walked across the bags filled with compost he said, "...and this is the dirt. We have to use COW POOP!" I just loved his enthusiastic explanation of it all.

>>>Extra<<<

Our "Handbook of Nature" came from Barnes and Noble today. We're excited and we'll be posting our Green Hour Challenge entries starting next week.

Here's something nature-like for now. This is a poem we read before bedtime earlier this week...


"Talents Differ"
Laura E. Richards

"What are you doing there, Robin a Bobbin,
Under my window, out in the blue?"
"Building my nest, O Little One, Pretty One,
Doing the thing that you cannot do!"

"What are you doing now, Robin a Bobbin,
Under my window, out in the blue?"
"Brooding my eggs, O Little One, Pretty One,
Doing the thing that you cannot do!"

"What are you doing there, Robin a Bobbin,
Under my window, out in the blue?"
"Feeding my nestlings, Little One, Pretty One,
Doing the thing that you cannot do!"

"And what are you doing, pray, Little One, Pretty One,
What are you doing, tell me now true?"
"Sewing my patchwork, Robin a Bobbin,
Doing the thing that you cannot do!"

The Lehi library had their annual book sale last thursday. John was at school and had the car so my mom came over and watched the kids so I could take advantage of the opportunity. I only spent $30 on 16 movies and 15 books - what a deal! It was like Christmas for the kids when I came home with those being the contents of a large box.

I think that sums up the bigger things of the week for us...

We have felt wonderfully satisfied with our family life. Lately I feel like shouting from the rooftops, "Homeschooling is incredible!"

What can I say, we love it!


1 comment:

Sonja said...

I love it too! Just today I was gushing to my mom on the phone about how peaceful, happy, and content we all feel. (I'm sure the trials will come tomorrow, I'm tempting fate :)

Thank goodness for the MOA! We've had fun there too.

The poem is enchanting. I think I will have Robin a bobbin stuck in my head now.

I'm really so glad to read that things are going well. I can see the joy in your children's faces!