Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Books, Reptile Show, Grand Piano, Chef, Art

.
***Current Books***


Ethan's current audio book is Hatchet. I remember enjoying this as a read-a-loud from Mr. Woodhead in 4th grade.


I worried it might be a little over his head but so far he has really enjoyed it.








Tyra's (and Cedric's) audio book is Black Beauty. We've tried reading this book a loud about 2 years ago but the kids weren't too interested. So we put it down for another day.

I love it when the kids' minds can grasp more as time goes on.

Our current read-a louds are the Greek myths...strange yet interesting stories!


***Millie***



Go Millie! Go!
("Riding" a 4 wheeler at Cabella's)

***Monte L. Bean Museum***






We went to a reptile show at the above mentioned museum.

.

Animals shows are always an easy favorite.






.




They even got to "pet" a tortoise named Ollie.



.

..

.

.

***Joseph Smith Memorial Building***

We had a dinner at the JSMB for my brother's sealing (congrats to him and Erica). As we were about to leave we followed some beautiful piano music to a man playing a grand piano on the main floor.
.
Tyra was mesmerized, to say the least. She stood and watched his aged fingers amazingly travel up and down the whole scale of keys as he created the most beautiful piano music.
.
Unexpectedly he stopped playing and began to talk to Tyra and let her play one of her favorite songs. Not only did he do that but he asked her what her favorite primary songs were and played the most beautiful versions of those I've ever heard.
.
Tyra was inspired! She began composing her own songs the next day and has been ever since.

Apparantly, he plays at the JSMB every saturday from 7-9.

***My Little Chef***




Cedric cooks with me almost every day. Once he hears any sound such as grinding, mixing, or chopping going on in the kitchen I soon hear the pattering of his feet as he runs into the kitchen saying, "Me help?!?!"
.
Before my dad moved from Germany he used to be a baker and he still loves to cook.
.
I think those genes have been passed to my little guy.





.
***Art***



I've been working on some illustrations for a project of mine and have created my own little work area.
.
I work every night after the kids have been put to bed.
.
They love to come in my room every morning and view my newest additions.








Tyra has been coming with me to my oil painting classes.
She chose to paint a waterfall for her first oil painting ever!




.

..






My latest piece. I love African children.

.
I'll also add that Ethan has been working on "inventing" toy robots. Millie has been in the process of dealing with 2 molars cutting through, Cedric has been doing his own "workbook" every day by sitting with me and going through an alphabet book and Tyra finger knitted her own scarf.
.
Those are the highlights of our homeschooling life for the last couple weeks.
.
.

2 comments:

Joe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chris and Tara said...

I always love all the fun things you think of to do. What a nice piano man.