Friday, May 2, 2008

Funnies, Olives, Glass, Train

Family Funnies---Greece---



We finished up our studies on
Greece by having a taste of one
of their favorite foods - OLIVES!!!





---New Pet---

We had an interesting experience by the Jordan River this week. First a large skunk scurried across the pathway about 20 feet in front of us. We didn't let it deter us from going to our favorite area though - we just tiptoed past where we saw him cross. We didn't want to annoy a skunk!
After only a few minutes at the lake we saw a snake slither across the waters edge in front of us. The kids caught it and we all decided to take it home and study snakes for the week. . . I'm not sure the river is going to be its home ever again...the kids love it and the snake seems to be happy himself.


---Glass Blowing---



We spent a couple hours at Thanksgiving Point while John shot some bridals in the T.P. Gardens. The kids wanted to go to the Art Gallery/Glass Blowing buiding. We came just in time. They had just started making a piece of art glass.




The artist has blown into the glass glob that is stuck to the end of his metal rod. He's shaping the end and widening the mouth in this photo.




After many other steps: heating the piece over and over, blowing into the rod over and over, shaping, stretching, cutting and pulling, he's flattened the glass piece and spins it to give it its shape... this is pretty much what the final piece looks like.


---Train---

Cedric is SOOO in love with trains! As we drove home from a Park Day with some other Homeschooling moms I saw a train off in the near distance as I crossed over its tracks. So we turned around, stopped near the tracks and got out of the car to watch. Boy, what a thrill. You don't realize the magnitude of the trains size nor the power in its body until you observe it up close.

The engineer even waved to the kids! Cedric is still talking about it!

"Our time is our life, and whatever it is we are doing with our time, we are paying for it with our life. The challenge of mortality is to manage our time in such a way that what we spend it on is worth our life."

Ardeth Greene Kapp

5 comments:

Brat said...

Hi Claudia, I just found your blog. Your family is so cute. I admire you for all the activities you do with your kids. I really loved that quote from Sister Kapp.
Brittany

Emily Youngdell said...

I love the funny faces, that is hilarious. Too cute. Ü

Chris and Tara said...

I didn't know they did glass-blowing at T.P. I will have to go someday. When Chris and I were in Ireland we went to the Waterford factory and I assumed they wouldn't let you take pictures so I didn't even take my camera. Once inside the tour guide said pictures were okay and even encouraged. Grrrr! So I didn't get any photo's. I was pretty sad. Maybe I will have to take some at T.P. and pretend they're Irish :)

dlkenney said...

you are so patient and your kids are adorable...where do you get all the cute pictures on your side column?
Daphne

dlkenney said...

Thanks for the info about the pictures I will have to go searching for some of my own.
And no you didn't miss anything. I started doing foster care in June of 07 and Nesta is my foster child. He is such a happy little boy. It feels as though he has always been apart of our family now.